If you’re in the Creative Corridor, you might know that Geonetric is planning a big move next year to the New Bohemia district of Cedar Rapids. We’ve been in our current location since 2004, and while it has treated us well, we’re excited about swapping our current office park for a real, well, neighborhood.
We’ll be on the third floor of a building that will look something like this:
If all goes according to plan, the new facility should be ready in the Spring of 2014. This is an important move for Geonetric for a couple of reasons:
- We’re continuing our steady growth and we simply need more room. Our new location will be almost twice as large as our current one, and can accommodate projected growth for the next 10 years, at least.
- We have a creative team. We need access to coffee shops, book stores, restaurants, markets, and beer to fuel all that creativity. New Bohemia is packed with this stuff: everything will be available in a one-block radius of our new location.
- It’s being built on a former industrial site (it was once a steel plant at 415 12th Ave SE). Our project will convert an empty brownfield lot into a state-of-the-art office facility for several progressive companies.
- Our current location doesn’t offer the collaboration space we desperately need. Our Agile adoption has put tremendous pressure on our teams to be flexible and communicate better. The new location will have lots of room for us to easily get together and make things happen.
- The new facility will feature important amenities we don’t have now:
- Open floor plans for easy pairing (two employees work together on one task)
- It’s on the major bike path in our area, so employees can bike to work
- Showers for those who do bike to work
- A café for serendipitous conversations
- A room large enough for our all-hands company meetings in which we can sit comfortably as we grow
- Training lab space for group learning
- An indoor grill so we can continue our mission-critical provision of meat (or veggie burgers) to our team, even in the winter. Grilling outside in the winter in Iowa is not fun.
In short, the new location will help Geonetric grow and continue to deliver outstanding work for our clients.
When we’re ready, I promise we will throw one heck of an open house party!